Open Accessibility Menu

Veteran Survivors’ Resources

Local VA Office - Hammond Clinic

  • Website:
  • Address: 1131 S Morrison Blvd, Hammond, LA 70403
  • Phone: (985) 902-5100
    • Hammond Office: 985-602-9085
    • Kentwood Office (Friday Only): 985-229-3451

How to Report the Death of a Veteran

  • VA Contact Numbers:
    • National: 1-800-827-1000
    • New Orleans: 1-800-935-8387
      • Hammond Office: 985-602-9085
      • Kentwood Office (Friday Only): 985-229-3451
  • VA Life Insurance: 800-669-8477
  • Social Security: 1-800-772-1213 (Also for applying for Survivor Benefits)

VA Survivors Pension

  • Website: VA Survivors Pension
  • Required Documents:
    • Veteran’s DD214 or other separation documents.
    • Veteran’s death certificate (showing cause of death).
    • If a surviving spouse, also submit:
      • Marriage certificate or other evidence of marriage.
      • Evidence of child born before or during marriage, or evidence of marriage before a fixed date based on wartime periods.
  • Eligibility Criteria:
    • Evidence of family net worth and income meeting congressional limits.
    • Evidence that the deceased Veteran didn't receive a dishonorable discharge.
    • Service requirements:
      • Active duty on or before September 7, 1980, with at least 90 days active duty including one day during a wartime period.
      • Active duty after September 7, 1980, with at least 24 months or full period of active duty, including one day during a wartime period.
      • Officers starting active duty after October 16, 1981, without at least 24 months of prior active duty.
  • Wartime Periods Recognized for Pension Benefits:
    • Mexican Border period, World War I, World War II, Korean conflict, Vietnam War era, Gulf War.

Intent to File a Claim

  • Procedure:
    • Submit an Intent to File form or call 800-827-1000 (Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET).
    • Download VA Form 21-0966 [here](Download VA Form 21-0966 (PDF)).
    • Mail completed form to: Department of Veterans Affairs, Claims Intake Center, PO Box 4444, Janesville, WI 53547-4444.
    • Or bring the form to a VA regional office.
  • Deadline: 1 year to complete and file your claim after notification.

Bereavement Counseling

  • Eligibility: Surviving spouse, child, or parent of a service member or Veteran who died.
  • Benefits:
    • Outreach, counseling, and referrals.
    • Services available at community-based Vet Centers or via telehealth.
  • Local Offices:
    • New Orleans Vet Center: 1250 Poydras St., 4th Floor, Suite 400, New Orleans, LA 70113 (504-507-4977)
    • Baton Rouge Vet Center: 7850 Anselmo Lane, Suite B, Baton Rouge, LA 70810 (225-761-3140)

Burial Allowances

  • Eligibility: Veterans discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Conditions for Eligibility:
    • Died from a service-connected disability, or
    • Receiving VA pension or compensation at time of death, or
    • Hospitalized by VA or receiving care under VA contract at time of death, etc.
  • Allowance Amounts:
    • Service-related: Maximum $2,000.
    • Not Service-related: Burial allowance of $300, plot allowance of $796.

Additional Veteran Resources

  • Volunteers of America South Central Louisiana
    • Address: 7389 Florida Blvd., Suite 101A, Baton Rouge, LA 70806-4657
    • Phone: (225) 387-0061
    • Website:
    • Services: Supportive Services for Veteran Families, Home Depot Partnership.