Whether you have just been diagnosed with diabetes and don't know where to begin, or you simply need an update on the best way to manage your diabetes, the North Oaks Diabetes Education Program can help you take control of your condition.
The necessary lifestyle changes to manage your diabetes may seem overwhelming. Our program is designed to provide practical information and assistance to help you achieve your healthiest life with diabetes.
The North Oaks Outpatient Diabetes Education team consists of experienced health care professionals who partner with your physicians to help you better understand your condition. The program components work together to provide you with a personal plan to manage your condition and help lower your risk of complications. With a physician referral, you can take advantage of the following program offerings:
This one-on-one consultation with our Certified Diabetes Nurse Educator will help you understand your personal diabetes diagnosis, as well as answer any questions you may have about your condition. Components include:
- Diabetes self-management skills assessment
- Personalized plan for checking blood sugars and medications
- Blood glucose monitoring and meter information
- Explanation of diabetes test results
- Foot screening and care information
- Insulin administration training.
Follow Up Sessions
Our team will continue to check on your progress and address your individual needs through in-person and phone follow-up sessions. Together, we will review your personalized goals and treatment plan and monitor your results. Follow-up sessions also may include foot care classes and screenings.
A registered dietitian will review your individual nutritional assessment and help you develop a meal plan for diabetes management. The program focuses on incorporating good nutrition into life in the real world, including:
- Carbohydrate counting
- Portion control
- Food label reading
- Making restaurant and fast food meal choices.
Diabetes Basics Class
Topics of discussion include:
- Understanding your diabetes diagnosis
- Preventing and detecting short- and long-term diabetes complications
- Healthy eating and physical activity
- Goal-setting, problem-solving and stress management
- Gestational diabetes.
We encourage you to bring a friend or family member with you to this class.
Diabetes Nutrition Class
This small group course continues your education on making the best nutrition choices to help manage your diabetes. Bring a family member or friend for support as we explore the following topics:
- Diabetes and heart healthy nutrition specifics, including fats, sodium and fiber
- Sweeteners and sugar substitutes
- Further information on reading food labels, including shopping guidance
- Tips on the challenges of dining out and holiday eating.
Monthly support group meetings are free and open to those with diabetes and their families and friends. Physician referrals are not needed. Speakers from the community share valuable insight on current topics in health related to diabetes. These meetings also provide participants with an opportunity to share experiences, tips, ideas and concerns with others.
Potential support group meeting topics include:
- Keeping Fit with Exercise
- Heart Disease Risk and Prevention
- Keeping Yourself Healthy During a Disaster
- Sleep Disorders
- Healthy Eating on a Budget.
Registration is not required. For more information on attending an upcoming meeting, please call North Oaks Community Education at (985) 230-5723.
How to Participate
Your physician can refer you to our program, and many insurance plans (including Medicare) help cover the cost of diabetes education. For individual policy coverage, contact your insurance carrier. If you need assistance, please call (985) 230-7777 or (225) 686-4899.
Two Locations to Serve You
Hammond- Located within North Oaks Medical Center
15790 PaulVega, MD, Drive
Hammond, LA 70403
Livingston - North Oaks Livingston Parish Medical Complex
17199 Spring Ranch Road
Livingston, LA 70754
North Oaks Diabetes Education has been recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education.*
*The American Diabetes Association recognizes this education service as meeting the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education.