In this video, North Oaks Health System employee and registered yoga teacher
Britni Serou, RYT-200, demonstrates a 3-part deep breathing exercise that
may help lower your stress level.
Find a comfortable position in a quiet place. Sit on the floor, perhaps
against a wall.
- Close your eyes.
- Soften your shoulders.
- Start to listen to your breath.
- Start to deepen your breath.
Feel the breath moving through your belly, ribs and the top of your chest
- Inhale (belly, ribs, collarbones).
- Exhale (collarbones, ribs, belly).
- Try not to be too forceful with your breathing. Keep it smooth and steady!
- Continue this exercise for 2-3 minutes. To keep track, set a timer or count
to 30 (inhaling 1, exhaling 2, inhaling 3, and so on).
Note: If you have trouble feeling the breath moving in and out of your
body, try placing one hand on your belly and the other hand on the heart.
Another technique to try is to give yourself a hug and hold the sides
of your ribs as you breathe.