A Parathyroid Scan (aka PTH Scan) evaluates the parathyroid glands for
abnormalities. It also evaluates the cause of hypercalcemia and increased
parathyroid hormone levels.
What to Bring
- Your physician order (your physician may have already sent this to us)
- Personal ID
- Insurance Cards
How to Prepare
- You should fast 4 hours prior to the test.
- Please inform the technologist if you are pregnant.
- If you wear an on-body device (insulin pump, insulin regulators, Neulasta,
other chemo/insulin devices, etc.), you must inform your technologist.
What to Expect
- The technologist will explain the test and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be given a small amount of radioactive tracer (the imaging agent)
in your vein. There are no side effects to the injection.
- You will be placed in our waiting room for 15-30 minutes to allow the imaging
agent to circulate.
- After, you will be lying down on a cushioned table for a 10-minute scan.
- You will then be instructed to leave, eat and return approximately 1.5-2
hours later for “delayed” images that will take approximately
After the Exam
- Your study will be reviewed by a Radiologist and the results sent to your
physician. Your physician will discuss these results with you.