Bone Densitometry (DEXA, DXA)
Bone Densitometry, also called DEXA or DXA, uses a very small dose of ionizing
radiation to produce pictures of the inside of the body. The bones most
commonly tested are in the lumbar spine, hip and/or the forearm. This
test is commonly used to diagnose osteoporosis (bones that are more fragile
and at risk for developing fractures).
What to Bring
- Your physician order (if you were given an order from your physician)
- Personal ID
- Insurance Card(s)
- Medication list
How to Prepare
- Wear comfortable clothing and avoid clothing with zippers, buttons, belts,
and underwire bras. Objects such as keys, wallets, or coins that would
be in the area being scanned should be removed.
- Please leave valuable jewelry at home.
- If there is any chance of pregnancy, please inform the technologist.
- If you wear an on-body device (insulin pump, insulin regulators, Neulasta,
other chemo/insulin devices, etc), you must inform your x-ray technologist.
These devices cannot be in the x-ray room during the exam.
- Please inform the technologist if you recently had a barium exam or received
an injection of contrast material for a CT scan or Nuclear Medicine test.
This will interfere with your bone density test. You should wait at least
10 days before undergoing a DEXA test.
What to Expect
- Once you arrive in our reception area you will be asked to fill out a Bone
Density questionnaire that will help the doctor determine if you have
medical conditions or take certain medications that either increase or
decrease your risk of a fracture.
- Technologist will then bring you into the exam room to verify your information.
- Bone density tests are easy, fast and painless.
- Depending on the areas that will be scanned, you will be asked to lie on
the exam table or sit at a chair next to table.
- You will need to allow 30 minutes from registration to completion of test.
- Results are usually available to your ordering physician in 24 hours
Where are Bone Densitometry Services Provided?
North Oaks Diagnostic Center
15837 Paul Vega, MD, Drive
Hammond, LA 70403
Schedule An Appointment
Call North Oaks Patient Scheduling between 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. at (985) 230-7777.