1. You have the right to request restrictions on the use and disclosure of your health information for treatment, payment or health care operations purposes. You also have the right to request restrictions on the disclosure of your health information to individuals involved in your care or payment for your care. However, we may not be able to honor your request and are not required to do so. If we do agree to a restriction, we will abide by that restriction unless you are in need of emergency treatment and the restricted information is needed to provide that emergency treatment. To request a restriction, submit a written request to the Contact Person listed at the end of this Notice.
2. You have the right to have your reasonable requests for confidential communications about your own health information honored by North Oaks. This means that you may, for example, designate that we bill you at work rather than at home. To request communications by other means or to other locations, you must submit a written request to the Contact Person listed at the end of this Notice. Reasonable requests will be granted.
3. You have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of health information that may be used to make decisions about your care. Usually, this includes medical and billing records. To access and obtain a copy of medical records, contact the Health Information Management department at (985) 230-6630. To access and obtain a copy of billing records, contact the Patient Financial Services department at (985) 230-6873. If you request a copy of your medical record, you will be charged the standard fee set by law for copying and mailing the requested information. We may deny your request to access and copy in certain limited circumstances. If you are denied access to your health information, you may request that the denial be reviewed under limited circumstances. We will designate a licensed health care professional not involved in the original decision to review your request and the denial. We will comply with the outcome of the review.
4. If you feel that health information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask us to amend the information. You have the right to request an amendment for as long as the information is kept by North Oaks. Requests to amend health information must be submitted in writing to the Contact Person listed at the end of this Notice or by contacting the Health Information Management department at 985-230-6630 or Patient Financial Services department at 985-230-6873. We may deny your request for an amendment if it is not in writing or does not include a reason to support the request. In addition, we may deny your request if you ask us to amend information that:
a. Was not created by us, unless the person or entity that created the information is no longer available to
make the amendment;
b. Is not part of the health information kept by or for North Oaks;
c. Is not part of the information which you would be permitted to inspect and copy; or
d. Is accurate and complete.
5. You have the right to an accounting of disclosures of your health information. Records of disclosures are maintained for 6 years, starting April 14, 2003. However, the following disclosures will not be accounted for:
a. Disclosures made for the purpose of carrying out treatment, payment or health care operations;
b. Disclosures made to you;
c. Disclosures of information maintained in our patient directory, or disclosures made to persons involved in
your care/payment of your care, or for the purpose of notifying your family or friends about your whereabouts;
d. Disclosures that occurred prior to April 14, 2003;
e. Disclosures made with your authorization;
f. Certain other disclosures not accountable by law.
The accounting will include the date of each disclosure, the name of the entity or person who received the information and that person's address (if known), a brief description of the information disclosed and the purpose of the disclosure. To request an accounting of disclosures, submit a written request to the Contact Person listed at the end of this Notice.
6. You have the right to receive a paper copy of this Notice.
7. We are required by law to maintain the privacy of your health information and to provide you with this Notice of our legal duties and privacy practices.
8. We are required to abide by the terms of this Notice. We reserve the right to change the terms of this Notice and to make those changes applicable to all health information that we maintain. Any changes to this Notice will be posted at our facilities and will be available upon request.
You may complain to us and/or to the Secretary of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services if you believe your privacy rights have been violated. To lodge a complaint with us, please file a written complaint with the Contact Person set forth below. No action will be taken against you for filing a complaint.