What is a Dietetic Internship?
Dietetic Internships (DI) are considered a step in the process of attaining the credential of registered dietitian after graduation from college. North Oaks Medical Center’s DI is sponsored by the Education Department. It offers qualified individuals a unique opportunity to attain eligibility for the Registration Examination for Dietitians through one year of supervised experience. North Oaks Medical Center’s dietetic interns can expect to spend at least 24 hours per week participating in supervised activities. This is a part-time program making part-time employment possible.
The North Oaks Health Medical Center DI is currently granted accreditation by: the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, Illinois 60606-6995, (312) 899-0040, ext. 5500.
Consistent with the mission of North Oaks Medical Center, the mission of the North Oaks DI is to provide supervised practice to prepare interns to become registered dietitians and fill entry-level positions. Interns will acquire a sound foundation in the core competency requirements and emphasis areas of Foodservice Systems Management and Medical Nutrition Therapy as outlined in the Standards of Education of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and dietetics.
North Oaks Medical Center Dietetic Interns will be trained to provide quality, personalized health care services in a caring, efficient and financially responsible manner. As North Oaks Medical Center intends to work in harmony with physicians, area hospitals, businesses and community organizations to meet health care and health education needs in the area, the DI is well-supported to provide quality training and experience for qualified people who are seeking registration/licensure and practice as active proponents of team effort for health care and nutrition as a cost-effective component of optimum health.
What is the Cost?
There is $5000.00 tuition fee for North Oaks Medical Center dietetic internship. The interns must provide their own lodging, transportation, food, health insurance and professional liability insurance. The internship will provide experience at North Oaks Medical Center, North Oaks Rehabilitation Hospital and other facilities within a 150-mile radius of North Oaks Health System facilities.
How Can I Qualify?
An applicant must:
Meet the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics academic requirements.
Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Admission Requirements:
- Minimum total GPA: 2.8
- Minimum DPD GPA: 3.0
- Participate in computer matching by contacting: A Didactic Program Director -or- D&D Digital Systems, (515) 292-0490
- Be chosen as a finalist by the North Oaks Medical Center DI Selection Committee after:
- Submitting a complete application through the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) process
- Being notified of selection as a semi-finalist
- Completing an interview.
When and How Can I Apply?
Complete a copy of the Dietetic Internship Application Form through the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) process.
Completed applications must be postmarked no later than Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) deadline.
Interviews are conducted between March 2 and March 20. Interns begin the DI in June.
Dietetic Internship 2015-2016 Selection Criteria
1. Application Components (Unless otherwise indicated, no photocopies will be accepted.) All must be postmarked on or before Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (Dicas) deadline.
A. Dietetic Internship $40.00 application fee must be received for application to be considered.
B. Letter of Application, should include transportation and financial arrangements. Please be advised that
North Oaks Medical Center is not an authorized agent for deferment of student loans.
C. Three Recommendation Forms (One Academic, One Professional – Employment, One Personal). If the
professional – employment category is not applicable, submit two academic recommendations.
D. Current Transcripts.
E. Verification Statement substantiating completion of (or Declaration of Intent to Complete) degree and
AND Approved Minimum Academic Requirements.
2. Completion of personal interviews with members of the North Oaks DI Selection Committee for the Class of 2015-2016. Semifinalists will be contacted by Virginia Pelegrin concerning interview time and date. Interviews will be conducted between March 3 and March 21, 2015.
3. All applicants to North Oaks Medical Center’s Dietetic Internship must participate in computer matching. Applicants should request instructions and a mark/sense card to prioritize their DI preferences. Applicants should request this material from any AND-approved Didactic Program in Dietetics or from D&D Digital Systems. This request should be made to allow turnaround time for submission by a mid-March postmark deadline for an April appointment. There is no charge for this material. However, there is a charge for computer matching that is due with the applicant’s prioritized ranking.
Address Requests to:
D&D Digital Systems
Suite 301, 304 Main Street
Ames, IA 50010
Phone: (515) 292-0490
Fax: (515) 663-9427
The 2015-2016 class of North Oaks Medical Center’s Dietetic Internship will begin studies on Monday, June 8, 2015 and end studies on Thursday, June 2, 2016.
For more information, please call (985) 230-6548.
Outcome Measures for Program Goals